Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pissed Off Rant

For a few days or weeks. I'd like to know how it would feel to use MY Personality and my Filters Background as a free get out of jail pass.

A great big Shield that lets me whine to everyone else: Don't treat me with anything less that extreme care because I have a BACKGROUND and a PERSONALITY that MAKES me this way.

I'm tired of walking on eggshells today. Can you tell?

Listen here, you: You want to use your Filters and your Personality and your Background for protection? Well I'll give you a Background that will blow yours right out of the water. And a Personality that is so ripe for neurosis you will wonder how I haven't killed myself yet. And I'll show you some Filters that will curl your toes.

Here's the thing: Filters can be counteracted with new filters. Here's my biggest one: I will not - absolutely WILL NOT listen to my own bullshit!
Personalities can become our assets. They come complete with GOOD and bad. I work on the good stuff and try to find healthy ways to live with the bad. And it sucks for me sometimes to be me. But I can learn my way around the suckiness and NOT ASK OTHERS TO BOW DOWN TO my PERSONALITY!
Backgrounds can be re framed, or at the very least NOT USED AS AN EXCUSE to walk around completely victimized day after day after day. Especially when people genuinely care about you and are not out to get you.

And YET.... I am trying to learn how to let people be who they are. Be Who They Are. Human, Ordinary and wonderful, Holy Children of God. And, I should add, that I'm learning how to let ME be who I am. Whoever the hell that is....

God help me.

1 comment:

annie said...

Do you feel better now, you unique and precious person, you? I hope so.

Sometimes it is easier for me to let others be who they are than it is for me to let me be me.

I don't know what brought this rant on. I guess someone is saying something to the effect of "that's just the way I am" as an excuse not to change, or grow.

And you are absolutely right that those things can be changed. I admire your resolve not to listen to your own BS. As I am sure you know, because you participate in it, growth and change are hard. I have great admiration for the person you are.